By Chef Amanda DeLaura
Hello summer! Hello delicious slaws! A few notes on technique for this recipe:
- Be sure to use a mandolin to shave your You may be scared of the mandolin but it is one of the most underrated tools in the entire culinary world. It saves time and yields perfection every single use.
- When cooking for a large crowd (I consider eight or more), double the recipe and use two cabbages. Otherwise, if you don’t wish to have extra cabbage hanging out in your produce drawer, simply buy one cabbage of choice, red or green. While red cabbages are more bitter in flavor, the overall taste of the slaw won’t vary an exorbitant amount. If you choose a green cabbage you’ll just have a less colorful dish.
- Avoid grilling your chicken in your cast iron skillet if your skillet is not well seasoned. The acid from the lemon juice will easily ruin its My cast iron skillet is very well seasoned so I am able to cook citrus, tomatoes, and vinegar in it without ruining it, but I wouldn’t recommend this approach for everyone. Wondering how to season your cast iron skillet? Read here. Bon appétit!
Makes 6 servings
2 organic chicken breasts
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp organic olive oil, separated
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp Real Salt
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
GREEN AVOCADO DRESSING
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup organic mayonnaise
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 lime, zested & juiced
1 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
1 clove garlic 1/2 avocado
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp Real Salt
1/2 green cabbage, thinly shaved
1/2 red cabbage, thinly shaved
3 green onions, thinly sliced on diagonal
3 radishes, thinly shaved
1 carrot, grated
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 avocados, 1/2 reserved for dressing
1/2 cup roasted & salted cashews, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 orange, juiced
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. To prepare chicken, pat breasts dry with a paper towel. Using your hands massage the garlic, one tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper into the chicken. Let sit for 10 minutes. Using a large stainless steel or oven-proof pan heat the additional tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high Add the lightly marinated chicken breasts, thick-side down. Let cook untouched for five minutes, or until slightly charred. Flip and place entire pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the center of the chicken tests at 165ºF. Set aside and thinly slice once cooled.
- To make the green avocado dressing, combine the entire column of ingredients in a blender, Vitamix, or food Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste, adjust salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, combine the cabbage, green onions, radishes, carrot, bell pepper, prepared chicken, and Generously garnish/top with the avocados, cashews, cilantro, and fresh orange juice. Season with fresh cracked pepper and Maldon sea salt. The slaw will keep undressed in the refrigerator for up to five days and dressed for up to three. If not enjoying immediately wait to garnish until right before you serve it.