I think many people don’t eat as many vegetables as they should because they never realize how delicious they can be when paired well with easy-to-make condiments. The key is to make your own dip so that you’re not slathering your veggies with hidden sugars and/or oils. I’ve chosen mint and green onions for this Greek yogurt dip, but you can easily use any green herbs you have on hand—chives, dill, fennel fonds, cilantro, tarragon, and etc. Get grating and bon appétit!
Makes 8 fritters
3 small zucchini, grated
1/4 cup flour (or gluten-free alternative) 1 egg yolk*
1/2 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp red pepper chili flakes 1 Tbsp avocado oil
1 Tbsp olive oil
Maldon salt & black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup Greek yogurt 2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 springs fresh mint, minced
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/8 tsp pink salt
- To make the Greek yogurt dip, combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mint, scallions, and pink salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- After you’ve grated the zucchini, press all of the liquid out of it by using your hands to form and squeeze the zucchini into Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl and add the flour, egg yolk, dried oregano, baking soda, dried basil, and chili flakes. Combine with a spatula and set aside.
- Using a large cast iron skillet, heat the avocado and olive oil over medium Working in batches, scoop four balls (you’ll want eight in total) into the skillet and press the balls into small pancakes, leaving at least a half inch between each fritter. Fry for five minutes and then using a fish spatula carefully flip each fritter onto its other side. Continue to cook for another five minutes. If the fritters or oil begin to burn, lower your heat accordingly.
- Remove your fritters from the skillet and place onto a plate lined with a paper towel. This will allow any excess oil to be soaked Season your fritters generously with Maldon salt and black pepper, if desired. Add additional oil to the cast iron and repeat step three for the remainder of the batter.
- Immediately place your fritters onto a large plate and serve with prepared Greek yogurt
*Note: Reserve your egg white and store it in the fridge in a sealed container. Make an egg scramble for breakfast tomorrow and be sure to add it!