Jalapeño Cornbread Stuffing
By Chef Amanda DeLaura
As we approach the holiday season, today I am grateful for food, for family, and for my memories in the kitchen. I grew up in Houston, TX where my Dad lived for well over twenty years. Dinner often had a Southwestern flair, and the holidays were no exception. Last year for Thanksgiving I released a recipe for our jalapeño-cranberry relish, which will be followed this year with a jalapeño cornbread stuffing, which does require preparation ahead of time. You will want to prepare the stuffing on Wednesday, let it sit overnight, and then bake it fresh on Thanksgiving Day. Find my recipe for a gluten-free cornbread here. Bon appétit!
Makes 6 servings
1 pan cornbread, cubed & dried
1/2 loaf white bread, cubed & dried
2+ cups broth
1 tbsp olive oil
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 white or yellow onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeños, seeded & minced
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 eggs, hardboiled, peeled & chopped
1/2 tsp garlic granules
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 1/2 tsp dried sage
1 bunch fresh sage for garnish, minced & optional
- If you have plenty of time, two days before serving your stuffing, cube your bread and cornbread and let sit out on the counter in large baking sheets to allow it to get very dry. If restricted on time, on the day of preparation cube your bread and place in the oven at 275ºF and allow it to dry out for about 20+ minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add your 1 Tbsp of olive Add your celery, onion, and jalapeño to the pan and season with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper. Allow to sweat and cook till translucent and softened.
- Remove your bread from the oven and let it
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, adding more broth if You want your stuffing to be fairly moist and almost soggy feeling so that it does not dry out in the oven. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired. Place into a 9x13” casserole dish, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and bake for 60 Remove from oven and garnish with fresh sage as desired.
Leave a comment